Thursday, April 16, 2009

You Would Have Me As Stone (Inspired by personal events and by "Tú Me Quieres Blanca" by Alfonsina Storni

You would have me as stone,
Unfeeling,

Unmoved
When you throw your emotional

Garbage

At me,

And then profess to be
moved,

Touched
when I do not break.

Stone does not bend.
Stone breaks.

You could not break

Me.

You could not break me.

I bend
As a tree in the mighty wind,
And then I stand

Up.

Straight and tall.

I bend
As a river cutting through earth,
Rising over

Stone.

I fly
As a sharp-skinned hawk,
Swiftly,
Avoiding branches and

Enemies.

You would have me

Dead

as a stone,
to be crushed into dust
and swept under a rug
like a dirty little secret.

But I am

Not

a dirty little secret.


To read Storni's poem, click here:
http://www.los-poetas.com/j/storni1.htm#TU%20ME%20QUIERES%20BLANCA

No comments:

Post a Comment