Sunday, June 28, 2009

Stuff That Would Bore My Sisters 2, Originally posted June 27, 2009 at 4:42 p.m.



I decided turn yesterday's post into a series of sorts. However,
Sense and Sensibility would probably interest my sisters more than The Bridge on the River Kwai. Men, instead, would probably find that one boring. The two movies seem worlds apart, but, in my opinion, they are not that far apart as they both explore relationships between people. While The Bridge... deals with the power struggles, hierarchies, honor, and rules between men at war, especially among the higher ups (officers), the characters, particularly the women, in Sense and Sensibility are at the lower end of England's social hierarchy and must try to behave as society expects despite their private amorous desires.

The movie ends well for the characters only because they follow their hearts after society's rules (regarding love and marriage) leave them wanting. I completely understand the feeling of being left wanting for love by trying to do what others think is right. I can also identify with Mary Anne's character for 'becoming acquainted with the world' too quickly and in a manner that nearly led to my 'ruination.' Only neither am I as innocent as she, nor am I the type to sink into a depression until a man resues me.

That being said, I like Colonel Brandon's character as he is truly devoted, nonjudgmental, and, throughout his lady's introduction to the world and subsequent downfall, her knight. And he restores her to a place of honor in society. As tough as I feel I've had to be in restoring my own honor (though not without help from some others after all), I rather cherish chivalric behaviors and long to give my handkerchief to my most worthy gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment