Sunday, June 28, 2009

One dog gone, only two here now, and only one I don't want to let go. Django, my big dog, and I went for a short walk earlier. Besides thinking of politics, I thought of how it is that I love Django so much when I am not that good with animals. From day one, I saw that he, like me, paid attention to people. The first time he tried, he realized I hate to be licked on the face. He will only do it if I ask him to, and those occasions are rare. Only a handful of times has he accidentally nipped me. I have only once raised my voice in reaction, and that was to the pain, not to him, because I have always seen the effort he has taken to not hurt me, or anyone else for that matter.

Also a gentleman, Django surprised my daughter by giving her the right of way to the kitchen. I explained that he always shows respect to me like that, and I love him for that and for being protective of me when we are out. He has never liked strange men or even teenage lads to come near me when we are walking or hiking. He always growls like a mad dog, lol, and then we continue quickly on our hike.

Ours is not a one way relationship. Because I see how much attention he pays me, I have tried to learn his likes and dislikes, his moods (usually calm, but sometimes aggravated), and I've even tried to read his thoughts - I know that is strange. I don't care. We don't talk much. Most of the time, we don't talk much but seem to read each other. Yes, I talk to him, but only if I have something to say. Even then, he will look at me sometimes like I am silly, but I don't mind. I stop talking, though, until I have something better to say.

He let's me think I'm in charge. This morning, I decided to jog for a lap, almost two - we both needed water quick. It's humid since the rain last night... Anyway, Django, who had walked at my pace, ran at my pace, but then he slowed us down. I followed his lead, a good thing. We ran twice as long as I thought I could, we could, and then we weren't so tired afterward. I'm taking him to a special place in just a few, because I want to be outdoors with him some more today.

In the last few months, I had stopped going out with him. I was, indeed, focusing a lot on other things, on trying to accomplish a goal. I forgot how good it felt just to get out and enjoy nature. My daughter used to go with me, but she is grown now. Has her own things to do. Django is a cool companion. I started bringing him along when my girl was still with me, but now it is just the two of us. I feel lucky I have him, especially now. After writing this, though, I wonder to myself whether Django thinks I am his dog, ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment