Monday, July 6, 2009

After watching a lot of tv commercials for different restaurants, I could not decide where I wanted to eat. I parked at one place, actually walked in the doors and said to myself "I don't really want to eat here. Why am I here?" Think, think, think. "Oh." I thought. "I have seen and heard so many ads for this place. Okay, I don't want this." And I left.

Surveys, polls, online voting, and even some websites search for key words (that people use) to use in advertising. Many different advertisers even use the same words but with different nuances. It all depends on what kind of customer they are trying to attract. For example, outdoors equipment sellers probably won't use a wide variety of bright colors or cartoons to attract their customers. Instead, they will use earth tones, pictures of lakes or trees or something else outdoorsy.

Sellers who want to attract higher paying customers don't advertise much. They don't need the money, and they don't want riff raff in their stores.

I could go on, but I must say that I am very glad to know myself, what I want, what I don't want. I am also smart enough to not be tricked into paying good money for something that I don't really want, that was made to appeal to me, to whet my appetite. You know, something that was scripted for me.

I want what I want, and I don't need anyone to tell me what that is.

Anyway, my cooking is not that bad. A few of the things I create are even better than one would find in a restaurant, like my spaghetti. My sauce is a secret heaven. And I am especially talented with desserts - my pecan pie is divine. Cooking is a lonely job, however, and I prefer company if I am doing something away from books. If I cook for anyone anymore, it has to be a very, very special occasion. It's that good. Worth more than the $50 to $100 one would expect to pay at a high quality restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment