Monday, July 13, 2009

Her bosses knew that she was having trouble with her medication, and they knew she wasn't sleeping. The Monday afternoon she was on the other end of the building with her group. She was trying to make it through the day. Barely hanging on, she walked into Nick's office.

"I need your help," she whispered. Nick stood up, asked John to take over the slide show, and walked to the door.

"What do you need?" His voice was concerned. The first time he had said anything to her besides "I'm not allowed" in weeks.

"I need you to stay with my group. I have to leave. Something's not right with me, with my medicine." Her voice started to shake as she spoke. She was having to focus hard just to move. "I'm going to tell Olivia that I need to call Bill to come get me. I don't need to be here."

"Just go, and I'll take care of this."

"Thanks, Nick," she said and tried to compose herself as she walked toward Olivia's office. When she got there, Olivia told her to come in and close the door.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Something's not right. I don't know, but I think it's the medicine. I feel like a drug addict, maybe if that's what it feels like," sobs broke through. "I haven't increased my meds, but I haven't been able to sleep. I have been trying to get through the days until I can get a break. It feels weird, and I feel like I don't know what's going on."

"Are you into anything right now that you shouldn't be?" Olivia asked.

"You mean like drugs? No, of course not. I wouldn't do that, but right now I just know I need to see my doctor. Can I please call Bill to come get me?"

"Yes, but don't come back until you have the doctor's permission. Where is your group?"

"Nick has them."

"Okay, I will go help him. Just get well, okay?"

"All right," she said and went back to her office to call Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment