Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Misadventures of Super Slut, 3




El Muchacho laughed when Super Slut began telling him of her plan. She knew he would tell it to at least one other person. They would do half of her work for her. His face grew more serious as he realized that she was serious. The only way he would win now was to do what he feared most: let down his walls for her.

If I were an 'other woman' of yours, then this would be about jealousy.

Super, I love you. I don't ever want to be married to anyone else. Only you.

Oh, I know that I am your 'number one.' Without a doubt. This, El, is about my dignity. Or my pride, if you will. You have hurt me a lot over the years.

I've been a real son of a bitch. He repeated himself four or five more times. Super had never called him that. Wait - she had once, but she immediately apologized for disrespecting his mother like that. The fact that he said it meant that he was well aware of how he had treated her for years.

Everyone knows how I messed up. I never denied what I actually did, she scolded. She went through some of his transgressions that she had overlooked. Thong in the waterbed. Like new. Secret messages with her co-spies when she introduced them to El. Leaving her to deal with the Triple Squad at the Satchiton. Backdoor car dealings with The Perve and with Stiletto. Late night rendezvous in Volbino's cab. Updating his secret black book in restaurants and making lame excuses. Courting one of her oldest friends to his side when Super brought her to the house. Suspicious calls and hang ups. The accidental conversation when one woman mistook Super's son for El. Suggestive emails. One with a thought provoking photo. Secret 'communications' over theyears with his ex, Daniela.

Super Slut had not known the code. But she knew other things that had never set well with her. Eye language. Facial expressions. Bodylanguage. Head and hand gestures. Hesitations. Reactions. She knew what did and did not make sense. She knew the difference between respect and disrespect.

Yeah, but guys never want to admit stuff that makes them look bad. Laugh. In fact, we do everything we can to make sure we look good. He did not appear to understand that her pain would not go away if hewas not sincerely regretful and if he continued to hang with TheWickeds. Even more disturbing was that Super realized: El Muchacho is extremely conscience deficient.

Do you think it's possible that I have been doing things, selfish things, that benefit me and that I don't want you to know about?

Yes! I already know this. But every time I think we are past all of your nonsense, I find out you are still plotting with the bad guys.

How are you so sure? Can you prove it? Not this time, El. I am on to you. Every time I tell you how I know something, you use that against me. You get nothing.

El laughed in response.

Besides, she went on, I'm not even tracking you anymore. I've seen enough to know that I can never trust you.

But you can! Just give me more time. You will see.

It was Super's turn to laugh.

Oh my god, you can't be serious! Hell, no, you have had plenty of time.

Sigh. He always sighed big when he wanted to sound important or macho. I'm out. I promise.

Super Slut knew better but was tired of arguing.


Two days later, Super's hope was fading fast. El admitted to secret meetings with Mountain Man when he told her he was working. He forgot that he already told her that - but she did not let on. Patiently, she waited for other apologies to pour forth. They remained padlocked in his conscience-free dome. In her own head, she chided him. You are trying to think of things that wouldn't upset me too, too much. As if I would never pick up on that tactic.

I just need more time, he pleaded. Can't you have a little trust in me? I can be good to you.

You have had years to be good to me.

Guess I failed, she admitted to herself with tears in her eyes. Super hated to fail. Especially when she loved El. Still. And she had tried so hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment