Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dedicated to My Sisters


1.

Why do women tell stories?

With each pinch of salt, she tells

a flavor of life,

With each stitch on a quilt, she threads

the old with the young,

Each lock of hair tucked tenderly in an envelope reminds

that time waits for nothing.

The stories are to remember everything

we should never forget.


2.

My name is Joan. Do not forget.

My name is Anastasia. Do not forget.

My name is Harriet. Do not forget.

My name is Hypatia. Do not forget.

My name is Rosa. Do not forget.

My name is Anne. Do not forget.

My name is Nicole. Do not forget.

My name is Elizabeth. Do not forget.

My name is Amelia. Do not forget.

My name is Sally. Do not forget.

My name is Cleopatra. Do not forget.

When I am called 'whore' and worse, remember that is usually the first way others try to degrade a woman's character.

When it is said that I was disobedient and unruly, remember that the men try to make the rules different for women.

When I am forgotten, someone will eventually remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment